Purchase Signed Paperbacks

Signed Paperbacks

Email Me

Email me at Bethrinyu@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

A Lesson Learned...From My Dog.

 I wanted to switch things up and not talk about my books or writing in this post. Instead, I wanted to focus on something that may help to give you a little perspective in these crazy times we're living in as of late.

Did you ever hear the saying, the best therapist has four legs and a tail? I truly do believe that. I have 2 four legged friends. One who is my therapist, and the other one warrants that therapy (but in his defense he is still a puppy and has a lot to learn). My therapist came to me eleven years ago. I was home sick from work and scrolling through Petfinder. When I saw a picture of him on the site,I was immediately drawn to him, like he was destined to be mine. I never owned a dog as an adult and wasn't really sure of all the responsibility that came along with it, but I put an application in for him anyway. Much to my surprise, I was notified within a few days from the rescue that I was approved, and he would be coming to us all the way from Mississippi. I'm not gonna lie, I kind of freaked out after that, running around, preparing like I was ready to give birth. Bogie, as we came to know him came into our life all those years ago and since then he has become a loving member of our family, and a huge piece of my heart . It saddens me so much to see him slowing down, his graying eye brows and not being able to last for more than 15 minutes on the long walks he used to love to take. He's always been so in tune with my feelings. He knows when I'm sad, and he knows when I'm angry...sometimes before I even know I am.

The other night, I realized just how much his presence affected me. I was having a crappy day, stressed out about everyday things and the world in general. I took the crazy puppy, (whose name is Georgie by the way) out on his leash to go to the bathroom one last time before going to bed. Bogie joined us like he always does. He works the perimeter of our yard, acting as the security guard by patrolling the area in the dark, making sure that nothing happens to me or his bratty little brother. He waited patiently for Georgie to do his business, and when I turned around to see where he was, he was looking up to the sky with the most soulful, gentlest look in his eyes. The kind of look you see in a wise old man who has seen a lot of things in life. When I tilted my head upwards to see what had him so mesmerized, I saw it -- the most beautiful clearest, star-filled night I had ever witnessed in my life. I know what my sweet little dog was trying to convey to me--slow down, shut the world away and just take in the beauty. If he wasn't out there with me, I know I would have just went through the motions, waited for Georgie to do his business and went back inside without ever seeing that beauty that lingered just above me.I don't know how some people can say animals have no souls because to me they are more in tune with our feelings than our fellow humans. So I guess the moral of my story is, no matter how crazy life gets, no matter how scared the news we turn on the TV makes us, there's still beauty in this world, you just have to look for it. And sometimes it may take an old faithful friend to show it to you.


Meet The Therapist:









No comments:

Post a Comment